My Blog List

Friday, October 19, 2018

Fuji GX680 modification to use digital backs

Discussion in 'Everything Film' started by BeelesSep 10, 2017.


  1. Hi,

    I know I am going to take a lot of flack from the film purists out there but I have a question regarding the GX680.
    I have a mark 3 and want to try using a digital back with it, at present it seems using a third party adaptor and control box (one shot) was the only way. Apparently the shutter speed info is only sent to the lens (where the shutter is) and not out via the sync. I did some online research to see if there was another way of doing things and happened upon a glimmer of hope.
    Apparently there was someone who was selling modified GX680's on a certain auction site a good few years ago which didn't need a one shot box. Has anyone any idea what this modification entailed or if there is anyone around who can do it?
    Many thanks for your help,
    ijustmissme likes this.


  2. Sorry for some reason the threads posted twice, is there a way of getting rid of the other one?


  3. This link http://www.kapturegroup.com/solution/two.html says a one-shot is not needed with imacon/hassleblad backs but I don't know how old the page is - the market has developed a lot in the past few years. All I know is that digital MF is expensive and there are no backs for my 6x6 even if I was tempted to try. If Fuji make a dent in the Phase One business and drive their prices down then it might turn into a different story.


  4. I saw the Kapture Group website a little while ago, I sent an email query to them but the email was bounced back as unknown. I suspect they were referring to the Hasselblad series made for the 500 camera which was analogue, the great thing was you could set the shutter speed on the back and just use a sync cable to fire it. If only Leaf or Phase One would add this facility into their firmware then my problem would be solved.
    I'm not so sure if Fuji would dent their market too much as there is always the advantage of a system where you can just change your back without having to change the entire camera body, that said with the Fuji medium format camera body coming in well below the price of an equivalent back it may spell the end of the digital back as we know it with a move to a standard non up-gradable camera body.




  5. Sir, I am a user of GX680 III from China. After buying GX680 III I faced the same question like you. I have a Leaf Aptus II 5(M645 Mount) and want to use it on my GX680III to take pictures of products, but i couldn't work due to the problem of SYNC. After searching solution from Google and so many forums, I find an unbelievable solution.
    Inspired by what you said, "the shutter speed info is only sent to the lens (where the shutter is) and not out via the sync", I guess it is because the camera only sends the "shutter-on" info to the digital back but no "shutter-off", so the digital back can't figure it out whether the shooting is over or not.

    Now I take a shot like this. Firstly, after preparing everything like what you did, press the shutter as usual, then the light of digital back turns orange or sth else that tells you it is working. Secondly, when the shutter off, pull out the SYNC Cable from the Camera. You can hear very little sound from the camera(or the back),telling you it knows to stop. Finally, you can see the pictures shoot by you in the digital back or the computer.I have tested this a lot of times, the exposure is fine and the quality of pictures is good.
    Wish this can help you, not too late and sorry for my so-so English level.

Read more at http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/threads/fuji-gx680-modification-to-use-digital-backs.134564/#yruCWfh5mGAlkO43.99

No comments:

Post a Comment