My Blog List

Friday, August 24, 2018

A7(r): Three Contax-G to NEX adapters reviewed


Started Aug 12, 2014 | Discussions
Vivec • Contributing Member • Posts: 532
A7(r): Three Contax-G to NEX adapters reviewed
7
Hi all,
I recently got an A7r and a beautiful Contax G 90mm F2.8 lens. These lenses are relatively cheap, super sharp (sharper than three copies of the Leica Tele-Elemarit M 90mm that I tested) but they need an adapter that let's you focus them. Because the Contax G lenses were made for autofocus, they do not have a smooth helicoid mechanism and the manual focus experience depends on the adapter.
In the end, I ended up trying three different ones:
1. The TechArt / Deo Tech autofocus adapter, mark 3. (about $300) This adapter their latest version and focusses quite well. It is a bit noisy but works just fine. Not the fastest focus around but for non-motion subjects it works well enough. Moreover, due to the high-torque focus motor, you can very easily focus using the small wheel on the side -- this works surprisingly well and precise. The adapter is very high-quality and fits really well. Surprisingly, it is also the lightest of the bunch. Ordering it is a real hassle though and it tooks weeks before it was delivered.
The manual focus wheel.
2. The Metabones adapter . (about $140). This one has an oversized focus ring which makes it easy to hold tight. Works quite well but I do feel sometimes some points during focussing where I need to put more power on it and then sometimes 'overshoot'. This is also the heaviest adapter by far. Also, the switch to 'lock' the lens on the adapter is on the back of the adapter so you need to take off the adapter from the camera first in order to remove the lens. For me no problem since I always leave the lens on one adapter but it is something to be aware of.
The locking mechanism on the back
3. The Kipon adapter (about $120). This adapter has a more thin focus ring but on my system it actually is more smooth to focus than the metabones one -- I think because it has more throw. In the end I prefer this one the most. Just like the TechArt adapter, the lens lock mechanism is a simple metal tab that fits in the little hole in the frame of the lens, so you can remove the lens while keeping the adapter on the camera. Here is a close-up of the locking tab:
Close up of the locking tab on the lens (left-upper corner)
All adapters work just fine and focus to infinity for my lens.
Ok, here are some pics in the camera:
With the TechArt adapter -- notice the manual focus wheel
With the Metabones adapter.
With the Kipon adapter
SONY ALPHA A7 SONY ALPHA A7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TriniArt2 • Regular Member • Posts: 452
Re: A7(r): Three Contax-G to NEX adapters reviewed
Thanks for info.
I have the Kipon and the TechArt v3.
I notice the TechArt does not focus accurately when using the widest aperture of the 90mm or 45mm. At other apertures, it appears to focus correctly. The manual focus wheel works good as you mentioned.
For scenic shots, I believe either adapter will work well. But for things like portraits of kids or in situations where faster focus is needed, I believe the Techart (using the wheel to fine tune focus) is going to be slightly better.
 Canon EOS 550D  Sony Alpha a7R  Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM  Rokinon 35mm F1.4 +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote  Complain
OP Vivec • Contributing Member • Posts: 532
Re: A7(r): Three Contax-G to NEX adapters reviewed
Thanks for the reply; For me the focus is always on even with the aperture wide open. However, I saw in the documentation for the TechArt adapter that you can fine-tune the focus by using certain ranges of apertures. Take a look -- perhaps it fixes the problem for you 
Reply   Reply with quote  Complain
Eric Onore • Regular Member • Posts: 279
Re: A7(r): Three Contax-G to NEX adapters reviewed
Thank you very much for sharing this information.   I have a set of Contax G lenses that I have been holding on to forever while waiting for the right solution to use them on a digital camera.   It looks like the A7 is that camera.
Eric
Reply   Reply with quote  Complain
barry reid • Forum Member • Posts: 81
Thanks for the Review!
Just wanted to say thanks for this review, I picked up a ridiculously cheap 90/2.8G at the beginning of August and this page helped me decide to go for the TechArt 3rd generation adapter. It's on it's way to me and I'm looking forward to giving it a try!
Reply   Reply with quote  Complain
Serhan2 • Senior Member • Posts: 1,156
Re: Thanks for the Review!
1
I received my replacement v3 adapter for v1 and I highly recommend the af adapters. Even if you do mf, it is much easier. I had also metabones (big) and another third party adapter. You can get the adapter, 45mm and 90mm lenses for the price one of Zeiss lens:)
Here are shots from 45mm w/ v3 af adapter, all using af:

No comments:

Post a Comment